Saturday, July 17, 2010

And So It Begins...

7.17.2010

Well,

I have been in Brisbane for three days now and it has been pretty sweet. I arrived on Thursday morning at 6:45am local time which was 2:45pm Wednesday afternoon on Colorado. After going through customs and getting searched by three police dogs, I was taken to my Residential College…King’s College. I was given a little tour, with another American, and shown to my room, J3a. In the process of settling in and unpacking, I realized my computer was having issues recognizing the power cord being plugged in. I looked at the converter and my plug and then realized that all of the outlets had their own on/off switch. Upon further exploration, they are like this in the entire building and not just in the rooms. I find it fascinating.

Then it was time for lunch. In the Dining hall, I met a third American. The three of us quickly became friends due to the fact we are all basically the same age, at UQ for study abroad, and pretty much the only people residing at King’s at the moment. There have been guys slowly moving in and filling the rooms, but not too many right now. By Sunday, the QUT guys will be back since they start school next week but the other UQ guys have one week left of break before they have to be back. I have met some people who are living in King’s houses that are around the college. They all seem really nice, welcoming, and willing to help.

After being accepted into King’s, I learned it was the Res College that was furthest from campus…oh well. But, literally right across the street is an area called the Village or “The Vil”. It is like a block of restaurants, a post office, a grocery store, and a Subway. I mention a Subway because I assume the Aussies love it since I have seen more of them than Starbucks and McDonalds, combined. That I never expected.

The time change has been a little rough. The first night I went to bed at 7ish and woke up the next morning around 7am; last night went to bed at 8pm, and woke up at 7:30am; and tonight am amazingly up past 9:30pm with high hopes of finally sleeping past 8am. But by the time school actually starts, I will be fine.

I will be posting pictures soon onto my Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1073370092

I am just waiting until I have a bunch to post at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment